This checklist works as both a checklist for your design, to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything, and as a checklist for making a “take-off”, or materials list, for buying your irrigation materials. If you are unsure what an item is, or if it is needed, do a search of this website. The Sprinkler System Design Tutorial and the Drip Irrigation Design Guidelines cover most of the “what is it?” and “why would I need it?” questions for most of the items on this list. I’ve attempted to make these lists as complete as possible. There are items on these lists that I don’t necessarily recommend you use! Not every irrigation system needs everything on this list.
For a step-by-step guide for preparing an accurate and complete materials list see the article Creating Your Shopping List of Materials. Some helpful ready-to-print forms to assist you in creating your materials take-off are the Irrigation Materials Take-Off Form and Irrigation Fittings Take-Off Form.
Irrigation System Checklist
- Sprinkler Heads – nozzles? rubber covers? internal check valves? Stainless sleeves?
- Bubblers and Drip Emitters
- Emitter Distribution Tube (Spaghetti Tube)
- Micro-Sprinklers and risers
- Isolation Valves – gate? ball? butterfly?
- Master Valve
- Control Valves – latching solenoids? reclaimed water?
- Quick Coupler Valves – rubber cover? locking lid? reclaimed water?
- Hose Bibs and Keys
- Water Meter
- Backflow Preventers
- Controllers – indoor irrigation controller? outdoor sprinkler controller? pedestals? enclosures? junction boxes? batteries?
- Filters – special mesh screen? flush outlet?
- Pressure Regulators – custom PSI range?
- Pump Station – electrical panel? custom-built?
- Air Vent
- Vacuum Release Valve
- Pressure Release Valve
- Check Valves
- Pressure Gauge
- Rain Switch
- Moisture Sensor
- Fertilizer Injector
- Risers for Sprinklers, Valves, Backflow Preventers, Quick Coupler Valves
- Risers for Isolation Valves, Vacuum Release Valve, Pressure Release Valve
- Risers for Pump Station, Air Vents, Master Valve
- Rebar and clamps for staking sprinklers
- Valve Boxes for Auto. Valves, Isolation Valves, Quick Coupler Valves
- Valve Boxes for Filters, Water Meter, Pressure Regulator
- Valve Boxes for Air Vent, Vacuum Release, Pressure Release
- Valve Marker
- Valve and Wire I.D. Labels
- Operation Keys/ Wrenches for Isolation Valves
- Quick Coupler Valve Couplers, Lock-Top Keys, Hose Swivels, Hose
- Repair Tool Kit
- Mainline Pipe
- Mainline Fittings
- Lateral Pipe
- Lateral Fittings
- Pipe Couplings
- PVC Cement, Primer, and Applicators
- Gasket Lube for Gasketed Pipe
- Pipe Dope, Teflon Tape
- IPS Flex PVC Hose
- Drip Tube
- Drip Tube Fittings
- Clamps for Insert Fittings (poly pipe systems)
- Pipe Sleeves and Wire Sleeves
- Flanges, Flange Bolt, and Gasket Kits
- Control Wire
- Wire Splice Sealers, Electrical Tape
- Electrical Pull Boxes
- Primary Electrical (115v, 230v) Materials for Power Supply to Controllers, Pumps
- Control Tubing (unusual – for hydraulic-powered valves only)
- Drainage Pipe and Fittings
- Staking Flags, Caution Tape, Marking Paint.
- Drinking Fountains
- Corrosion Protection Tape for Wrapping Underground Steel Pipe
Landscape Materials Take-Off Checklist
(Warning: This list is not as complete!)
- Trees, Shrubs, Ground cover
- Seed, hydro-seed
- Root Barriers (they protect sidewalks from tree root damage, ask at an irrigation store for details)
- Tree Stakes, Ties, Guide Wires/ Anchors
- Fertilizer Tablets
- Soil Amendments – gypsum, compost, humus, sulfur, etc.
- Mulch – bark, decorative rock
- Weed Barriers (special water-permeable fabric that blocks weed growth.)
- Drain Pipe & Fittings
- Pre-Emergent Herbicide
- Bed Dividers
- Pavers, Grass Pavers
- Erosion Control Material – jute, straw, straw net, blankets, staples
- Landscape Lighting Equipment – lights, wire, wire connectors, transformer, controller, power supply
This article is part of the Sprinkler Irrigation Installation Tutorial Series
<<< Previous Page ||| Tutorial Index ||| Next Page >>>