For Comments & Feedback:
I welcome your feedback on the websites. If you find a bad link, an inappropriate link, or you have suggestions for the tutorials, I would love to hear from you! I do read and appreciate all input regarding my websites. Consider this my “thank-you” in advance.
Errors: If you find an error in the website please give me the address (URL) of the page you found it on if you can. With several websites and hundreds of pages of content it really helps me in locating the error. Thank you very much for your assistance!
Irrigation & Landscape Questions:
Here are a few suggestions for getting answers to your questions. PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE ME WITH QUESTIONS.
The best place to start if you have a question is with a search of my website by entering a search phrase below. The answers to most common questions are here.
ARE YOU DESIGNING A NEW IRRIGATION SYSTEM? If so, have you read through my tutorials on How to Design a Sprinkler System or How To Design a Drip System? You will actually save money if you do this right, and these tutorials will show you how. It’s worth spending a little time learning to do it right now than to spent the next 10 years making repairs and hand watering dry spots!
How good are the tutorials? I wrote the original versions of these tutorials in the late 90’s and have refined them continuously since then. Thousands of people have used them and are happy with the results. The tutorials are all totally free. They are detailed enough that a lot of colleges use them for text books on irrigation. But they are still simple enough for the average 6th grader to use (several wrote me to say they have!) Please save yourself a lot of regret and try them out.
Some various sources for quick help when you need an answer right now about a specific product.
Sprinkler Heads and Drip Equipment:
- Orbit Irrigation Products: Click here.
- Hunter Irrigation Products: Click here.
- Rainbird Irrigation Products: 1-800-RAINBIRD
- Toro Irrigation Products: 1-800-348-2424
- Zurn/Wilkins 1-877-222-5356 (Call them for backflow preventer questions. They will help you with questions regarding any brand.)
- PumpBiz.com 1-800-786-7249 (For pump related questions visit their website or call them. These guys are way more knowledgeable on pumps than I am. They will help with questions regarding any brand. Tell them your flow and pressure needs and they will recommend specific pumps for you by brand name and model too!)
You could also try a local store or nursery.
This is a bit of a risk, I’m just going to say that up front. For irrigation questions go to a store that specializes in irrigation equipment. I haven’t found that the employees at hardware and home-center stores are knowledgeable about irrigation. I often check out the irrigation department of those stores to look for new products, and I overhear a LOT of bad advice being given by their employees. About 80% of what I overhear is at least marginally bad advice. Some of the advice I hear is not just bad, it is just flat wrong! There are some shining exceptions, of course, and if you work at one of those stores I’m sure that you are one of them! But the bottom line is don’t expect good advice.
Just as risky as the hardware store. In this case it depends on who answers your question. Sometimes pros answer questions on forums, but most pros make a living from their knowledge and forums give them nothing in return for their time, so you see few pros there unless they are pushing a specific product they sell. Unfortunately like the advice in the stores, I see a lot on forums that is wrong. Look for broad agreement of many persons on an answer.
Ask me! Yes, there is a small cost, explained in the “fine print” section below, so read it before you ask! I will generally answer if I’m not busy with other things. I answer about 98% of questions asked. Often I will include the URL of an article and ask you to also read it. (I’m lazy and don’t want to rewrite background information you need to understand difficult issues!!)
Pump questions: I can’t tell you what size or brand of pump to buy. I simply don’t have enough knowledge of pump brands and models. I suggest you read my pump tutorial, figure out the GPM and PSI you need, then talk to a professional pump dealer.
Brand and Model Recommendations: I don’t make specific brand and model recommendations for irrigation products. I rely on an excellent relationship with all of the manufacturers to maintain my website’s reputation and get referrals from them. However I do have reviews of some products you can read and compare.
Want to Ask Me an Irrigation Question?
I will answer questions in exchange for something from you in return. Seems fair, right? It costs money to pay for hosting this website and let’s be honest, it takes me time to answer questions. Believe it or not, there are other things I like to do with my time better than answering questions! Keep reading…
PRIVACY NOTICE: The irrigation related questions you ask may be made public! You agree that any irrigation-related question you submit may be displayed or published on the Internet. You agree that your question may be edited to clarify it, or remove content that is not of interest. To assist others with similar questions or problems I publish many of the questions, along with my answers. When you write me, if you are concerned with security, feel free to use a first name only, a fake name, initials, or no name at all if you wish, it is not my goal to identify you!
Increase your chances of getting a quick answer!
- Try to ask a single question or make sure that questions are closely related to the same problem. Don’t send me a list of questions! A whole list of questions makes me feel overwhelmed and almost guarantees I will just hit the delete key. Keep it simple, you can always ask more questions later if needed.
- PHOTOS REALLY HELP. If the problem is with a valve, controller etc., a photo of it helps. Attach a photo to your question if possible! I can tell a lot more than you realize from a photo of the irrigation item in question. Photos really help clarify things for me. Here’s a bonus. About 1/3 of the people who attach a photo have a problem visible in the photo that they don’t realize they even have! So they get advice they didn’t know they needed.
- The brand and model of controller, valve, or sprinkler often make a difference, so if you know brand or models include them. If you don’t know the brand or model describe the item (color?) and include any markings you notice, I often can identify items from just that. Plus did I mention a photo really helps?
To get my email address, click on the agreement statement below. Sorry, you will need to complete one of those annoying captcha puzzles that are used to slow down the evil people and their spam bots.
Click for email address.
Please send your question to me before making a donation or sending anything just to be sure I am able to answer it. I don’t know the answer to everything and some problems are just to complex for email answers or for the time I have available.
PAYMENT TERMS: You choose your payment:
- Make a donation to help pay for keeping this website on-line. Suggested amount is $5.00 for the first question, $5 for each additional question. Money is always needed for various things to improve the website like software or the website hosting fees I pay to keep it online. Or just to buy myself a beer or soda! Sorry, donations are not tax-deductible as I am not a registered non-profit. Use the PayPal “Donate” button near the bottom of this page.
- Make me an offer! It’s interesting to get simi-worthless trinkets from people, especially things with a local flavor from where you live or work. I’ve had folks send me all sorts of interesting things over the years; T-shirts, German chocolate (from someone in Germany!), honey from a beekeeper, legally licensed software, even interesting photos they’ve taken of places I’ll never have the opportunity to see. I know money is not an option for everyone. So your imagination is the limit!