For Comments & Feedback:
I welcome your feedback on the websites. If you find a bad link, an inappropriate link, or you have suggestions for the tutorials, I would love to hear from you! I do read and appreciate all input regarding my websites. Consider this my “thank-you” in advance.
Errors: If you find an error in the website please give me the address (URL) of the page you found it on if you can. With several websites and hundreds of pages of content it really helps me in locating the error. Thank you very much for your assistance!
Irrigation & Landscape Questions:
Here are a few suggestions for getting answers to your questions. PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE ME WITH QUESTIONS.
The best place to start if you have a question is with a search of my website by entering a search phrase below. The answers to most common questions are here.
ARE YOU DESIGNING A NEW IRRIGATION SYSTEM? If so, have you read through my tutorials on How to Design a Sprinkler System or How To Design a Drip System? You will actually save money if you do this right, and these tutorials will show you how. It’s worth spending a little time learning to do it right now than to spent the next 10 years making repairs and hand watering dry spots!
How good are the tutorials? I wrote the original versions of these tutorials in the late 90’s and have refined them continuously since then. Thousands of people have used them and are happy with the results. The tutorials are all totally free. They are detailed enough that a lot of colleges use them for text books on irrigation. But they are still simple enough for the average 6th grader to use (several wrote me to say they have!) Please save yourself a lot of regret and try them out.
Some various sources for quick help when you need an answer right now about a specific product.
Sprinkler Heads and Drip Equipment:
- Orbit Irrigation Products: Click here.
- Hunter Irrigation Products: Click here.
- Rainbird Irrigation Products: 1-800-RAINBIRD
- Toro Irrigation Products: 1-800-348-2424
- Zurn/Wilkins 1-877-222-5356 (Call them for backflow preventer questions. They will help you with questions regarding any brand.)
- PumpBiz.com 1-800-786-7249 (For pump related questions visit their website or call them. These guys are way more knowledgeable on pumps than I am. They will help with questions regarding any brand. Tell them your flow and pressure needs and they will recommend specific pumps for you by brand name and model too!)
Try a local store or nursery:
This is a bit of a risk, I’m just going to say that up front. For irrigation questions go to a store that specializes in irrigation equipment. I haven’t found that the employees at hardware and home-center stores are knowledgeable about irrigation. I often check out the irrigation department of those stores to look for new products, and I overhear a LOT of bad advice being given by their employees. About 80% of what I overhear is at least marginally bad advice. Some of the advice I hear is not just bad, it is just flat wrong! There are some shining exceptions, of course, and if you work at one of those stores I’m sure that you are one of them! But the bottom line is don’t expect good advice.
Just as risky as the hardware store. It all depends on who answers your question. Sometimes pros answer questions on posted on forums, but most pros make a living from their knowledge and forums give them nothing in return for their time, so you see few pros there unless they are pushing a specific product or service they sell. Unfortunately like the advice in the stores, I see a lot of answers on forums that are wrong. Look for broad agreement of many persons on an answer.
Ask me! Yes, there is a small cost, explained in the “fine print” section below, so read it before you ask! I will generally answer if I’m not busy with other things. I answer about 98% of questions asked. Often I will include the URL of an article and ask you to also read it. (I’m lazy and don’t want to rewrite background information you need to understand difficult issues!!)
Pump questions: I can’t tell you what size or brand of pump to buy. I simply don’t have enough knowledge of pump brands and models. I suggest you read my pump tutorial, figure out the GPM and PSI you need, then talk to a professional pump dealer.
Brand and Model Recommendations: I don’t make specific brand and model recommendations for irrigation products. I rely on an excellent relationship with all of the manufacturers to maintain my website’s reputation and get referrals from them. However I do have reviews of some products you can read and compare.
Want to Ask Me an Irrigation Question?
I will answer questions in exchange for something minor from you in return. You might say I “work for tips.” Seems fair, right? It takes me time to answer questions, more than you might think (about 15 minutes per question to write a clear and concise reply.) Believe it or not, there are other things I prefer to do with my time more than answering questions!
PRIVACY NOTICE: The irrigation related questions you ask may be made public! You agree that any irrigation-related question you submit may be displayed or published on the Internet. You agree that your question may be edited to clarify it, or remove content that is not of interest. To assist others with similar questions or problems I publish many of the questions I have been asked, along with my answers. (Did you use the search above? About 20% of the questions I’m asked I have already answered for someone else!) When you write me, if you are concerned with security, feel free to use a first name only, a fake name, initials, or no name at all if you wish, it is not my goal to identify you!
Increase your chances of getting a quick answer!
- Try to ask a single question or make sure that questions are closely related to the same problem. Don’t send me a list of questions! A whole list of questions makes me feel overwhelmed and then I put off answering. Eventually weeks pass and I will just hit the delete key. Keep it to a question or two to start, you can always ask more questions later if needed.
- >>> PHOTOS REALLY HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION! <<< If the problem is with a valve, controller etc., a photo of it helps. Attach a photo to your question if possible! I can tell a lot more than you realize from a photo of the irrigation item in question. Photos really help clarify things for me. Here’s a bonus. About 1/3 of the people who attach a photo have a problem visible in the photo that they don’t realize they even have! So they get advice they didn’t know they needed.
- The brand and model of controller, valve, or sprinkler often make a difference, so if you know brand or models include them. If you don’t know the brand or model describe the item (color?) and include any markings you notice, I often can identify items from just that. Plus did I mention a photo really helps?
To get my email address, click on the agreement statement below. Sorry, you will need to complete one of those annoying captcha puzzles that are used to slow down the evil people and their spam bots. Live in Europe? You must consent for me to store your “personally identifiable information” on my USA based server. I need to store a record of our conversations, including your email address which qualifies as “personally identifiable.” Hopefully our governments will work out this Safe Harbor business soon.
Click for email address.
Please send your question to me before making a donation or sending anything just to be sure I am able to answer it. I don’t know the answer to everything and some problems are just to complex for email answers or for the time I have available.
HOW MUCH ? 2 options, you choose:
- Make a financial “donation”, more like a tip, like you would give a server in your local restaurant. (How much? Suggested amount is $5.00 for the first question, $5 for each additional question.) Money is always needed for various things to improve the website or just to buy myself a beer or soda! Sorry, donations are not tax-deductible as I am not a registered non-profit. Use the PayPal “Donate” button above or near the bottom of each page.
- Make me an offer! I know PayPal isn’t an option for some people so here’s a chance for you to be creative. It’s interesting to get simi-worthless (or valuable!) trinkets from people, especially things with a local flavor from where you live or work. I’ve had folks send me all sorts of interesting things over the years; T-shirts, German chocolate (from someone in Germany!), honey from a beekeeper, legally licensed software, wine (a small Napa Valley winery needed some irrigation advise), even interesting photos they’ve taken of places I’ll never have the opportunity to see. I know money is not an option for everyone. So your imagination is the limit!
- Please don’t stiff me! About 1/3 of the people who I spend time answering questions for never give me a thing in return. That’s just discouraging, makes me wonder what’s the point of helping people? Anyone can find something interesting to photograph and at the least send me a pretty picture in an email. Humor me!