The web's mother lode of free irrigation information!
Irrigation Product Listings & Reviews
Hunter SRV Series Valve
The SRV is Hunter's entry level product aimed at the residential market.
- Heavy duty solenoid.
- PVC and stainless steel construction.
- Internal manual bleed (the valve does not squirt water when manually opened)
- Optional flow control (I strongly recommend a flow control)
- Optional slip configuration (this option allows you to glue the valve directly to PVC pipe, which I don't recommend you do)
- Rigid diaphragm support (this means the diaphragm seats firmly against the top of the valve chamber when open. The idea is that this reduces the stress on the diaphragm caused by the water pressure.)
This is a very basic valve meant for projects where low price is the major concern. This valve is used for a lot of tract home irrigation systems. The body is PVC, so keep it out of sunlight. The flow control is optional, I strongly suggest that you select a valve that has a flow control. Without it you can't fine tune the irrigation system performance and at low flows you may experience problems with valves not closing very fast or at all. I don't particularly like the flow control handle on this valve, it is difficult to reach and is small. You may need a big screwdriver to turn it.
Manufacturer's Performance Data:
* It's not an error. Weird pressure variations like this at different flow rates are typical of valves. They are caused by water turbulence within the valve.
I don't recommend operating valves at flow rates that result in higher than 5.0 PSI loss. You need to have a really good understanding of hydraulics and water hammer at these higher flow rates. While the valve can handle that flow, the pipes on either side may not!
Text and Images by Jess Stryker unless noted. Copyright © Jess Stryker, 1997-2018. All rights reserved.