The web's mother lode of free irrigation information!
Irrigation Product Listings & Reviews
Hunter ICV Series Valve
The ICV series are Hunter's commercial quality valves.
- Glass-filled nylon construction, 220 PSI rated (glass filled nylon is the strongest type of plastic, it seems to hold up about as well as brass in most situations)
- Heavy duty solenoid.
- Captive solenoid plunger and body parts (means they don't fall out into the dirt if you take the valve apart.)
- Internal manual bleed (the valve does not dribble water when manually opened)
- Flow control with metal stem.
- Optional self-flushing filtering system (this consists of a self-cleaning screen filter inside the valve to filter out small particles that might get into the valves operating mechanism)
- Optional pressure regulator.
- Available in 1", 1 1/2", 2" & 3" sizes.
- The 1" model can operate at very low flows for drip systems.
The Hunter ICV series valves are top quality valves primarily intended for institutional users like parks, schools, and golf courses. At 220 PSI, the glass-filled nylon valve body of this valve is rated for higher pressure than some of the competition. The 1" through 2" models are globe valves (water in one side out the other). The 3" model is a combination globe/angle valve which has both a side and a bottom inlet. Other features are typical of most brands in this category.
The Hunter ICV is available with an optional Filter Sentry™ feature for dirty water. This consists of a self-cleaning filter screen that protects the valve from particles that can cause it to fail. Note that like other dirty water valves the filter just protects the valve, it does not filter the water passing through the valve. The self-cleaning feature of the Filter Sentry™ is more advanced than some others and uses a physical cleaner to clean the screen. (Many just rely on water rushing past the screen to clean it.) I still recommend that if your water is dirty enough that it appears dirty when you look at it, you should have a separate filter that filters all the water prior to the valves.
Hunters Accu-Set™ pressure regulator module is another option for the ICV valves. With this option the valve will regulate the downstream pressure to a desired maximum level. Let's say your irrigation mainline pressure is 100 PSI and you want to operate spray heads on the valve circuit controlled by this valve. At 100 PSI the spray heads would blow apart. With the Accu-Set™ option the valve will act as a pressure regulator and always keep the downstream pressure at 40 PSI or less. (You can set it for any pressure desired.) Like all pressure regulators the outlet pressure of the valve needs to be set at least 15 PSI lower than the inlet pressure. If not, the regulator will not work accurately. So if your mainline pressure is 45 PSI and you set the outlet for 40 PSI, it will not work correctly.
Manufacturer's Performance Data:
|Flow in GPM||0.1||0.5||1.0||5||10||15||20||30||40||50||60||75||90||100||120||135||150||175||200||225||250||275||300|
|1 1/2" Valve
|3" Globe Valve
|3" Angle Valve
Text and Images by Jess Stryker unless noted. Copyright © Jess Stryker, 1997-2011. All rights reserved.